Lyn Liao Butler, Author
Lyn Liao Butler was born in Taiwan and moved to the States when she was seven. In her past and present lives, she has been: a concert pianist, a professional ballet and modern dancer, a business owner, a personal trainer and instructor, an RYT 200 yoga instructor, a purse designer, and, most recently, author of multicultural fiction. Lyn did not have a Tiger Mom. She came about her overachieving all on her own.
When she is not torturing clients or talking to imaginary characters, Lyn enjoys spending time with her FDNY husband, their son (the happiest little boy in the world), their two stubborn dachshunds and trying crazy yoga poses on a stand-up paddleboard. So far, she has not fallen into the water yet.
Find her on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram: @lynliaobutler
Or check out her website: www.lynliaobutler.com
Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: Berkley (July 6, 2021)
Genre: Women’s Fiction
A woman confronts the scars of her past in order to embrace her true identity in this stunning debut by Lyn Liao Butler.
Lexa Thomas has never quite fit in. Having grown up in a family of blondes while more closely resembling Constance Wu, she’s neither white enough nor Asian enough. Visiting her father in Taiwan as a child, Lexa thought she’d finally found a place where she belonged. But that was years ago, and even there, some never truly considered her to be Taiwanese.
When her estranged father dies unexpectedly, leaving the fate of his Taiwanese family in Lexa’s hands, her safe life in New York City is no longer enough. She is faced with the choice to return to Taiwan and claim her place in her heritage . . . or leave her Taiwanese family to lose their home for good.
Armed with the advice of two half-sisters (one American and the other Taiwanese who can’t stand each other), a mother who has had a recent change in sexual orientation, and a man whose kisses make her walk into walls, Lexa finally confronts the person who drove her away from Taiwan all those decades ago. As the truth of the last fateful summer in Taiwan slowly unfolds, Lexa must stand up for herself and open her heart to family and love, or allow the repercussions of her family’s choices to forever dictate the path of her life.
- July 28, 2021 | Asian Family Drama, Adoption, Food as a Love Language | Thrive Spice
- July 10, 2021 | Lyn Liao Butler, Author of The Tiger Mom’s Tale | The Best of Women’s Fiction
- July 6, 2021 | Lyn Liao Butler, The Tiger Mom’s Tale | Thoughts From a Page
- July 2, 2021 | Lyn Liao Butler and The Tiger Mom’s Tale | Kris Clink’s Writing Table
- June 30, 2021 | On Identity Journeys and Self-Discovery, Belonging… | Mixed-Up Book Club
- June 8, 2021 | Women’s Fiction Day Special: Lyn Liao Butler and Erin Bartels | Dust Jackets
- December 2, 2020 | The Characters Inside Lyn Liao Butler: A Writer’s Mind | Not As Crazy As You Think
Featured Media Coverage
- October 1, 2021 | The 20 Best Book Club Books for 2021 | Book Riot
- August 5, 2021 |Review: The Tiger Mom’s Tale | Fresh Fiction
- July 11, 2021 | Your Summer Reading Horoscope | Electric Lit
- July 13, 2021 | Meet Our Guest Editor: Lyn Liao Butler | She Reads
- July 13, 2021 | Ten Book Challenge: Lyn Liao Butler’s Book-It List | She Reads
- July 13, 2021 | AAPI Authors to Read | Character Media
- July 13, 2021 | Lyn Liao Butler Has Done It All | Chick Lit Central
- July 7, 2021 | 21 New Books to Keep Your Summer Reading Going Strong | LitHub
- July 6, 2021 | Lyn Liao Butler: On Letting Your Ideas Develop | Writer’s Digest
- July 6, 2021 | Get to Know Your Favorite Authors: Lyn Liao Butler | Fresh Fiction
- July 3, 2021 | Author Interview with Lyn Liao Butler | Hasty Book List
- July 1, 2021 | July 2021 Horoscopes and Book Recommendations | Book Riot
- June 28, 2021 | 6 of the Best Books About Relationships & Their Impact | Book Riot
- June 10, 2021 | 26 Best Summer Beach Reads | Parade
- June 7, 2021 | A Summer Reading List from Mia P. Manansala | Jezebel
- June 4, 2021 | 20 Books by Asian Authors to Read in 2021 | Bookish
- June 2, 2021 | The Best New Summer Books of 2021 | PopSugar
- May 23, 2021 | Most Anticipated Summer Reads | Thoughts From a Page
- May 17, 2021 | Most Anticipated Summer 2021 Novels About Family and Friendship | Bibliolifestyle
- May 12, 2021 | In Honor of AAPI Heritage Month | Bust Magazine
- April 13, 2021 | Celebrate Asian Voices | Penguin Random House Library
- January 31, 2021 | How It Feels to be a Debut Novelist in 2021 | Forbes
- January 25, 2021 | Best Debut Books UK Readers Should Be Picking Up in 2021 | Bustle
- January 14, 2021 | 75 Debut Novels to Discover in 2021 | Goodreads
- January 14, 2021 | 10 2021 Debuts You Should Add to Your TBR List | Frolic
- December 31, 2020 | A New Year and So Many Good Books to Look Forward To | The Buzz Magazines